Thursday, June 23, 2011

Where we were . . .

was Santa Cruz, California, a short drive from our home but about 25 degrees cooler. We had planned this trip a couple of months ago because Tuesday was our wedding anniversary. We have been married 8 years now and decided a quick getaway was just what we needed.

I'm sorry to say, I did not take a single photo. We brought the camera but decided to just enjoy every moment instead of scouting for photo opportunities, so all these pics belong to the talented people who took them - if you're one of them and don't want me to use your photo, let me know and I will take it down. All of them are linked to their original accounts.

On Monday, the first thing we did upon leaving our house and our kids, was buy some shirts for my oldest - isn't that the sign of parenthood? You stop looking for stuff for yourself and it's all for the kids. Anyway, my oldest loves collared shirts so we got a couple of really cute ones for $4.99 each at the mall, then popped in to see X-Men: First Class. It was ok, but the best thing about it was the eye candy.
X-Men First Class: la bande d'annonce débarque

After checking in, we had an early dinner at Kianti's
Kianti's Pizza & Past Bar restaurant
my original pasta dish had meat sauce that was way too spicy for me so the server graciously offered a garlicky cream sauce instead which was super yummy. Both my husband and I were happy with our meal. We decided to call it an early night and then he got me hooked on Master Chef.

The next day we had one of the best breakfasts EVER at a place nearby called Zachary's.
zachary's
I loved that everything was locally produced, fair-trade, organic, etc. and the prices were totally reasonable. See, restaurant owners, it CAN be done! I am totally going to try to recreate their home fries with my homegrown potatoes. After breakfast we walked around downtown for a bit:
Santa Cruz Downtown
There are so many cute stores as well as some severely overpriced boutiques. I saw some cute sequined lace-trimmed tank tops for $5 at one shop and didn't pick up any but then made my husband take me back on Wednesday. Yeah, I know, he's really patient. Anyway, we saw Bridesmaids, it was so funny, I loved it.
bridesmaids-movie-poster
What happens in this scene at the bridal salon is just hilarious, I couldn't catch my breath I was laughing so hard! Afterward, we headed over to the wharf and stopped by Marini's for some chocolate fudge. YUM! I nearly emptied the sample dish, it was so good.

We had some awesome seafood dinner down by the wharf, then went back to the hotel for some more Master Chef and to gorge on the fudge.

On Wednesday morning, we had ourselves some Starbucks (we're such capitalists!) and then went back to the little shop with the cute tank tops. I got two, one in a marigold shade and one in - of course - turquoise, some NYX gloss, cheapie eyeshadows and nail polish.

At a cooking store we found an entire collection of dinosaur cookie cutters and of course, got them all for our pancake- and cookie-loving boys.

Back home, we ran to Toys 'R Us because our Spidey Sense was telling us we needed to get things for the boys and we found some serious loot - three huge Godzilla figures, I am telling you the boys were jumping up and down in glee when they saw them. My awesome mother-in-law then gave the three men some haircuts before she left.

That was our first half of the week: relaxing, laughing, sleeping in, strolling around, and just generally enjoying each other's company. But we missed our squirrelly monkeys!!! Now I am home, and I am content.

2 comments:

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Claudia,

My husband and I are also married for 8 years! It feels more... Don't you think?

I'm so happy you guys had a great time together. I wish I had family around to be able to leave the kids with them sometimes. I think it's so important to have some alone time with your husband.

God bless your marriage and congratulations to both of you.

Have a gorgeous day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Grumpy Grateful Mom said...

Happy anniversary! We'll be at 9 years in July. Your trip sounds fabulous! I thinks it's great you just enjoyed the moment and didn't take pictures. I need to remember to cut back on the photography for our next vacation. :)