Friday, June 10, 2011

Bittersweet

Yesterday was the last day of school for my kindergartener. He was sick since last Sunday so he didn't get to say goodbye to his teacher and classmates (my little one was sick the previous week so he didn't say goodbye to preschool, either). I made up little business cards with my contact info and a note from him saying he wanted to stay in touch during the summer, and asked the teacher to stick them in his friends' backpacks.

Every Thursday this past school year I went into my oldest's classroom and did the packets to take home. It didn't take me more than an hour or an hour and a half but it was lovely to see him in his classroom setting, interacting with new friends. He had a wonderful teacher, and I am glad she is staying on at the school at this time of budget cuts and layoffs.

Here are some moments from Aidan's kinder year:
kindermemories
The last photo was taken at a breakfast tea the school staff hosted for parents and guardians who had helped out throughout the year. I qualified because of my Thursdays spent at school and it was a lovely morning.

Every achievement, every new photo of Aidan at school brought me both joy and sadness. Joy at seeing my son thrive in a new environment, and sadness that my dad wasn't here to share in these moments. He would have been so damn proud of you, Aidan, I know we are!

Congratulations on moving on to first grade, my sweet boy!!!

2 comments:

BonjourRomance said...

Bonjour Claudia,
What a handsome little man you have there. I'm sure your Dad is looking on from Heaven and proud too. Thanks so much for stopping by to visit.
Have a good weekend,
Mimi

dkshopgirl said...

Watching your kids grow up is just so special. None of us can be there for everything, but seeing them change into little people is just fantastic.
Lovely post. :-)