Tuesday, March 8, 2011

My date with destiny

You know, timing is a very funny thing. I had this post brewing in my head about always being presentable, with this quote from Coco Chanel herself as the anchoring motif of the day:
"I don't understand how a woman can leave the house without fixing herself up a little - if only out of politeness. And then, you never know, maybe that's the day she has a date with destiny. And it's best to be as pretty as possible for destiny."

Yeah.

Guess what. I met my destiny yesterday, and it wasn't pretty.

We all have photographs of ourselves we'd rather didn't exist. Whether it be an unflattering prom pic, or a snap from days when we weighed more than we'd like, we all have bad photos.

Mine, however, might be available on the whole fracking internet soon. Because the Google Maps street level cam-car drove into our court just when I was carrying plants for my garden. In nasty old sweatpants, a ratty old cardigan that makes me look 8 months preggo and uber-stylish white socks.

The good news is that it usually takes months for updated Google map photos to show up. The bad news is, well, just about everything else regarding this situation.

Sorry Coco, let's call this one a massive FAIL.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Oh NO! What amazing timing you have!!! I have always been one of those rare mom who gets ready BEFORE taking the kiddos to school. Even if I am wearing yoga pants and plan to exercise 1st thing, I fix my hair and makeup...except 1 time (1TIME!!!) years ago when I decided I would be like all the other Moms and just pull my hair up in a pony tail and pull on some sweats to drop the kids off for school...I met my destiny also, with a flat tire on the interstate! Yes...it was horrible. NO one would stop (and I know it was because I looked just too gross) until finally another Mom stopped to offer me help and actually took me and my 2 children on to school - and yes, she was in her sweats and ponytail as well! I have NEVER done that again. Lesson learned. Have a super Tuesday.

Donna said...

Wow..that is just so funny/sad. How I can relate! It's always that way with me too. The one day I don't get fixed up is the day my brand new neighbor moved in down the road. Considering we only have three neighbors in the area..this is a big deal. :o) I'm so sorry for you that google-cam had to show up just then.

You look so stylish to me. I'm sure it couldn't be that bad. I won't go out not fixed up. It would definitely be bad manners on my part LOL!

Thanks for the sweet comment. I'm sure strawberry anything would make my four guys happy. :o)
xo
Donna

ps. great reminder!

Carina M said...

Oh dear...I'm usually not dressed too fashionably, but I try. I hate it when in family gatherings they always seem to get the photo of me when I'm looking at the food, EATING or getting dessert. It's like, "WHY?! of all the things you could get me doing, it's always food related. WHY?!?!?!"

Pauline Wiles said...

Ooh, that's bad. But you made me laugh, thank you :)