Thursday, January 13, 2011

Jammies with appliqued initial

My oldest boy went through a serious elephant phase a couple of years ago, and even though dinosaurs are now his thing, he still has a soft spot for elephants. I had bought some soft flannel fabric to make him blankets, but now that he's left behind footy pajamas, I figured I'd make him some two piece jammies.

A couple of months ago I made him a gray set - gray/cream elephant print pants and I cut out his first initial out of a scrap of fabric left and sewed it onto a plain gray t-shirt. He loved it, my mother-in-law loved it, and my mother even thought I had bought it somewhere.

Out came another elephant fabric blanket for the transformation. Here are the steps I have followed - mom taught me how to get a elastic-waist pants pattern from a regular pair of pants.
Start out with a regular (not elastic waist) pair of pants.

Take one of the legs and pull it inside out.









Cut out the applique in the shape of your choice. Lucky for me, both my boys' names start with A :D

Stitch applique onto shirt. I use a zigzag stitch and do all the edges twice.

My boy is pretty psyched to wear these, but he needs to stop jumping around while watching Godzilla so I can snap a good pic :D

1 comment:

Melissa said...

Thanks a ton! This looks like a tutorial that I might actually be able to follow. Now if only I wasn't so intimidated by my sewing machine...