Tuesday, March 22, 2011

What's been planted

Most of the veggie garden has been planted. We managed to get most of the plants in the ground in between bouts of rain. And when I say "we" I mean my husband.
Out lovely swiss chard, I saute it like spinach, with butter and garlic, and I have a recipe I want to try - a white bean soup with chard. We'll see how it turns out.

This is what I call Onion Hill, there are yellow onions growing (I hope) in between the two patches of green onions.
These green onions are legendary in our house. You can grab a bunch and put them in a bowl in one corner of the kitchen and you can smell them from the other corner. Fragrant and flavorful, these have grown all through the winter for us.

Our peas and beans, my husband made a little structure for them to climb:
My picky 6-year-old who won't touch anything green will happily pick them off the vine and pop them in his mouth.

Squash Row - we have grown baseball bat zucchinis in our garden, although I will be more diligent about harvesting when they're smaller, because they're much yummier then.
I have a feeling lots of zucchini bread and zucchini chocolate chip cookies (kids love them!) are in our future.

We'll also be doing tomatoes, of course, I hope to do some canning this year as well as drying some with my awesome new food dehydrator. The grapes and blueberries are also planted, and the corn has a reserved spot as well. Thanks to my husband for all his work on "my" veggie garden :D

Are you planting any fruits or veggies this year?

1 comment:

Marieke said...

Ok, so I tried to post on here yesterday and its not working, so I'm gonna try today...did you say Zucchini Chocolate Chip cookies?!?! Make sure those men of yours don't eat all of them...